Tuesday, April 23, 2013

US Driver's License Renewal


      Legal: Driver’s License renewal when out of US

Perhaps my latest adventure in bureaucracy will assist others with a problem.

My NC driver’s license expires on my birthday in January 2014. The Dept of Motor Vehicles (DMV) responded to my call by reciting the creed, “must be renewed in person within six months of expiration.”  No exceptions. Humm…I will probably not return to NC this year, so in theory I will be an illegal driver anywhere in the mundo in January 2014.

After receiving an identical answer from a supervisor, I asked a police officer, a friend of Sue’s. After a bit of research she recommended obtaining a duplicate with a fresh photo, then requesting a new license by mail in January.  So I dropped by DMV with renewed optimism, only to be slightly rebuffed by their officer.  "No, you can not do that."

Another call to Raleigh DMV finally clarified the issue. Simply call Raleigh a couple months before expiration, explain my out of country dilemma and they will issue me a new license good for 12 months. During that period I must renew in person.  Now…why didn’t they say that in the first place?

Moral of story: Procedure for success is Ask, Ask, and Ask Again.  Sounds like Latin America!